Getting Started in a Fitness Routine
But this time was different, this time i actually had to get into shape. Youth sports you might not be in shape, but as a kid you usually really are not that out of shape. Now older, much heavier, basically much lazier, but mostly in need of motivation. In Adulting you are allowed to make excuses because you only answer to you about weight gain, you hide it, buy new clothes, make resolutions that you will fix it, usually at a future date not so far off but seldom comes.
So what now, the New Year is here again and its time to say "this year i am gonna make it happen!".
Whats going to make it different?
Here are a few tips to help you be more successful this year
1. Don't go at it alone, when i first started fitness like pretty much everyone I had no idea what i was doing. Fortunately for me i had plenty of magazines and Bro's full of misinformation to guide me, even though most of what they taught me was wrong, they kept me motivated and held me accountable for showing up and working out, which is number 2.
Having a support system, of like minded people with like goals is really underrated. Even if the knowledge shared is off keeping each other in the game long enough to learn what will work , having someone going through the same struggles, or simply some company while working out as a distraction all helps.Then there is also accountability, to be able to workout with someone else requires planning or scheduling, which means you have an appointment and that is much harder to skip out on. Assuming everyone will have those lazy weak moments at different times.
2. Making a plan and sticking to it is your most valuable tool, and finding a consistent pattern and planning to make it smooth and make sense is really important. If this means you must prepare meals and a snack to bring to work, clothes to change into at the gym to avoid stopping by home (read TRAP). Prepare a bag the night before with thing you will need the next day. Keep a checklist if you have to, shirt, socks, shoes, what ever remember this is for you,make it work for you. Having your day planned where you fit your workout in as a part of the day and make it flow smoothly really helps in sticking to a program. So now we have a plan, and a workout partner, we are on our way.
3. Consistency, simply showing up is actually the most important thing, probably should be number 1. First of all by doing something repeatedly pretty much makes it a habit, or simply part of our life. Even if your workout program is not a Super Charged High Octane something the other the new infomercial is selling, doing something on a regular basis will make a difference. So pick your times and days, put it on the calendar or planner,stick to it , hold your partner accountable because now we have a plan, a partner, and an appointment.
4. This next one is not so simple, it requires a little more fluidity. Seek guidance or knowledge. As a fitness professional i like to encourage everyone to seek professional help, a Personal Trainer, but that's not possible for everyone economically speaking. So here is where we decide if we have more time than money or money than time.
These days knowledge is free, you just have to want it. When i first started working out like i said before i did not know what i was doing, like everyone i winged it. There was no way i could afford a trainer, but i had DETERMINATION to succeed, so i read, a lot. I searched for knowledge, asked those who had the physique i wanted, read books, magazines, blogs, everything i could get my eyes on. And along the way i gained a vast amount of knowledge, lost a ton of weight, and gained a pretty respectable physique, confidence in myself, and a love for my body i never had before. If this is your route i salute you, it is a longer path usually but very rewarding and leads to longevity.
Seeking Professional help, this is a great path, less potholes and wrong turns, it solves basically all 3 of the above items perfectly. Find a trainer (Partner), make a plan is done by finding the trainer, schedule an appointment (consistency). The ability to have safe effective guided workouts designed by someone who is trained and skilled in fitness , to have an appointment to show up for, making the commitment of spending money you don't want to waste really helps avoid many of the common pitfalls. By a certain point in your fitness journey you will self evaluate how its going,am i getting the results I expect, is it worth my investment of time or money, are my goals reasonable and achievable? Having a trainer can help you with setting reasonable goals, a timeline for which they are achievable, make valuable adjustments along the way, answer questions that will arise, and keep you motivated. That''s Value!
5. Fitness options, here i might ruffle a few feathers, many trainers and gyms want you t believe the only way to get into shape is join their expensive gym, and hire their trainers (avoid big name gym trainers). Fitness don't have to have a time, place, or whatever, it is simply being more physically active than before. A daily walk where you increase the intensity by pace or distance, basketball in the park, join a sports league, or even soccer with the kids the whole family needs fitness. I can run on all day. But there are also great options to get professional training aside from the 1 on 1 training, semi private where a few friends get together to split the cost of a trainer, small group classes, training studios, or membership based training.
At Morph Fitness we offer many different options that allow people to get high level training at different price points. Everything from 1 on 1, to group classes held 7 days a week. Look around, see whats out there, ask a friend, please please look at small businesses they are hidden gems.
This year it will be different, this year you have not only a goal but a plan, this year you will not just make a resolution but a commitment. You can go forward armed with new found knowledge, goals will be crushed, new ones set. Then you will be challenged with the next pitfall of fitness, STICKING WITH IT.
please keep an eye out for more articles, post any comments below, feel free to ask questions, give me future topics to write about.
Good luck in the New Year